TORONTO, Ont. (February 4, 2021) – Canada Basketball announced Thursday the cancellation of the 2021 Canada Basketball 15U Men’s & Women’s National Championships due the ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

Canada Basketball, in consultation with the National Championships Committee, which is made up of PTSO members, local hosts and partners, reached the decision to cancel this summer’s championships.

Despite the cancellation, Canada Basketball will continue to work with the National Championships Committee on alternative options for 15U and 17U identified provincial team athletes.  Canada Basketball will share additional details on these options, as well as announce the hosts for the 2022 Canada Basketball 15U Men’s & Women’s National Championships at a later date.

“As we continue to work together in the fight against COVID-19, in consultation with basketball and medical leaders from across Canada, we’ve arrived at the difficult decision to cancel the 2021 Canada Basketball National Championships,” said Glen Grunwald, President & CEO of Canada Basketball.  “We will be exploring options to bring the basketball community together safely this summer and are already looking forward to resuming nationals in its traditional format in 2022.”

Basketball PEI was to host the 2021 Canada Basketball 15U Men’s & Women’s National Championships from August 1-8, 2021 in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, while the 17U age group was originally scheduled to compete at the Canada Summer Games.  However, last fall, the Canada Games Council (CGC) and Niagara Host Society announced that the Canada Summer Games in Niagara had been rescheduled for August 6-21, 2022.

“While we’re disappointed to not be able to host a marquee event like the 2021 Canada Basketball National Championships, we understand that the pandemic has significantly altered the sport landscape and event schedules across the world,” said Joshua Whitty, Executive/Technical Director, Basketball PEI.  “We look forward to being back in a position to safely host nationals in the future and welcome players from across the country to Prince Edwards Island.”

Basketball Manitoba Executive Director Adam Wedlake added, "Its been a tough year for basketball and the community as a whole and we are empathetic to the athletes and coaches that will be impacted by this.  We will work closely with the Manitoba public health authorities to provide as many basketball opportunities in the coming year while still respecting and following the guidance in place to ensure a safe return to the court."  

The health and safety of all athletes, coaches, officials, support staff, volunteers and spectators is of primary importance and was a driving factor behind making this difficult decision.  Additionally, significant disruptions to athlete training and preparation over the last year, along with uncertainty surrounding travel and event hosting logistics were also considered.

Source: http://www.basketball.ca


Subscribe to Email Newsletter
Share this article to...

Post a Comment:

0 comments so far. add yours below...

Your feedback on this Basketball Manitoba article is welcome! Post your comments below and check back later to view other comments or replies.