Welcome to Basketball Manitoba:
Together We Grow Basketball Players.
Basketball Manitoba, along with our members and partners, has a large number of player development opportunities for all ages and levels. Whether you’re 5 or 55, we have something for you!
Basketball is a tremendous team sport that can be played for a lifetime, be it on the driveway or right through to the Olympics. Its a great teacher of teamwork, cooperation, respect and positive social skills. Basketball develops a wide range of important motor skills including running, throwing, catching, shooting, footwork, balance, agility, coordination and endurance.
Why Play Basketball?
- It’s fun. Basketball is the second most popular sport in the world, behind only soccer. In Canada, basketball is now the most played sport for ages 12-17. Basketball is a high-energy activity that helps develop athletic, social, and sport-specific skills that carry over into our everyday lives and last a lifetime.
- It’s social. Being a team sport, basketball helps develop many important life skills including teamwork, sharing, leadership, and communication.
- It’s everywhere. Most schools offer a basketball program for students whether it be in physical education classes, intramurals or on competitive school teams. Many community and recreation centres offer a basketball program for children and there are adult-based leagues. Best of all, most basketball is played indoors in a climate controlled environment meaning no cold mornings or rainouts!
- It’s simple. To play you need only a basketball, a pair of running shoes, shorts and a T-shirt. Most gyms, if not all, have a basketball hoop and many parks and schoolyards have outdoor hoops. Bring a friend and play some one-on-one in the driveway. Join our message board to see what others are doing and get some informal pick-up games going. 3 on 3 basketball is getting bigger and bigger each year and we can help you find the resources you need to host an outdoor tournament or get your information out.
- It’s inexpensive. Relative to other sports, basketball is very affordable. You can even play it for free at your local outdoor court - check out our outdoor court map to find one near you. Leagues are run at the lowest possible cost to get as many people involved. If you need help with your fees, there are options through Sport Manitoba’s KidSport program.
- It can lead to fantastic experiences and opportunities. If you find a passion for the sport and develop into an outstanding player, you may find that basketball will offer you unique life experiences by playing on travelling club teams, high school teams, our Provincial Teams, university teams, or even our Canadian National Team. Put in the work and see where basketball can take you.