Welcome to Basketball Manitoba!Basketball Manitoba is the Provincial Sport Organization for basketball in the province of Manitoba. Managed by a Board of 10 Directors elected by its members, the Board is tasked with ensuring that all Manitobans have access to the programs run by the association and that the game of basketball is enjoyed by as many people possible!
About Basketball Manitoba
Basketball Manitoba was incorporated on October 29, 1976 and is responsible for the promotion and development of basketball in Manitoba and our members include players, coaches and referees which are registered through their respective associations.
Manitoba is located in central Canada and is the fifth largest province in the country. It is the easternmost of the three Prairie provinces. Its capital and largest city (containing over one half the provincial population) is Winnipeg. Other cities and towns include Brandon, Thompson, Dauphin, Swan River, Churchill, The Pas, Selkirk, Portage la Prairie, Gimli, Flin Flon, Steinbach, Morden, and Winkler.
MissionDedicated to the promotion and development of basketball in Manitoba.
VisionBasketball Manitoba – Strive for Excellence! Play for Life!
ValuesBasketball Manitoba values itself as an organization that emphasizes integrity, respect and inclusion in the pursuit of excellence.
- We coordinate basketball in Manitoba by developing relationships/partnerships, and by providing leadership and governance. We accomplish this together by setting common goals and policies through effective communication.
- We enhance basketball by pursuing increased access to facilities and ensuring financial stability.
- We promote, deliver and support developmentally appropriate programs that are athlete-centred, coach driven and official supported.
MandateBasketball Manitoba is responsible for the promotion and development of basketball in Manitoba. It includes:
- Promote and coordinate the development of elite athletes, coaches, officials and administrators.
- Promote and encourage participation in the sport of basketball as a means of improving fitness and encouraging leadership and sportsmanship in Manitoba.
- Establishing, administering, and enforcing laws, rules and regulations governing the sport of basketball competitions within the jurisdiction of the Provincial Sport Organization (PSO).
- Ensure that Basketball Manitoba Programs are executed to maximum advantage.
- Encourage and stimulate public awareness of the sport of basketball in Manitoba and the role of Basketball Manitoba.
StructureBasketball Manitoba is made up of ten Directors who comprise the Board and manage the Association's interests and future. Different Board Member positions include President, Director of Finance, Director of Marketing and Communications, Director of High Performance, Director of Coaching Development, Director of Officials Development and Director of Competition.
The Board is also responsible for appointing and hiring all Basketball Manitoba employees. Basketball Manitoba currently employs three staff members; Executive Director Adam Wedlake, Program Coordinator Ian Dickey and High-Performance Coach / Technical Director Dan Becker. These three staff members work out of the Basketball Manitoba office at 145 Pacific Ave in Winnipeg. They see to the day-to-day activities, responsibilities and programs that Basketball Manitoba offers.
Office Location & MapBasketball Manitoba's office is located in room 324 in the Sport Manitoba building, which is located at 145 Pacific Avenue (at Lily St.) in downtown Winnipeg. Office hours are Monday through Friday between 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. The office is closed for all statutory holidays.
Packages and deliveries can be left at the main floor reception desk at 145 Pacific Avenue between 8:00 am to 9:00 pm, Monday to Friday and most Saturdays between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm.
The Canada Games Sport for Life Centre Parkade is accessible off of Alexander Ave (see below map). The parkade rates are $2.00 per hour and $1 for every 30 minutes after. During the day, street parking is metered and costs $2.50 for 2 hours. After 5:30 pm, there is FREE unlimited street parking available in the building area. There is area paid surface lots in the area which are managed by Impark. See a live area parking map here.
SPORT MANITOBA PARKADE
SPORT MANITOBA GROUP ACCESS ENTRANCE
Office Location Map
View Larger Map
The Canada Games Centre has five AEDs. Here's where you can find them, in case of an emergency:
- Main floor – beside the reception desk, beside the women’s washroom entrance
- 2nd floor – in the Sport Medicine Clinic, behind the reception desk
- L2 courts – in the northeast corner of the gymnasium
- L3 Performance Centre – in the hallway, just inside the performance centre doors
- L4 Fitness Centre – on the wall behind the guest services desk
Basketball Manitoba HistoryPast Presidents of Basketball Manitoba
1976- 1978 Aaron Wolinsky
1978 -1982 Ralph Watts
1982- 1985 Bill Wedlake
1985-1995 Tom Kendall
1995-1999 Orton Harrison
2000-2013 Joe DiCurzio
2013 - present Ross Wedlake
Past Executive Directors of Basketball Manitoba
1976-1979 Scott Taylor
1979-1985 Rick Lambert
1985-1995 Gail Kendall
1995-1998 Tracy Turner
1998-1999 Adam Wedlake
1999-2005 Tracy Turner
2005-2006 Irv Hanec
2006-present Adam Wedlake
Basketball Manitoba Office Locations
1973-1977 379 Cumberland, Winnipeg, MB (no Executive Director)
1977-1980 1301 Ellice Ave, Winnipeg, MB
1980 -1986 1700 Ellice Ave, Winnipeg, MB
1986-1987 945 St James Street, Winnipeg, MB
1987-1990 495 St. Mathews Avenue, Winnipeg, MB
1990-2009 200 Main Street, Winnipeg, MB
2010-present 145 Pacific Ave, Winnipeg, MB
Current Logo Usage and Samples
Basketball Manitoba, Inc.
145 Pacific Avenue
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada R3B 2Z6