Manitoba basketball players Kyanna Giles (1st Team) and Keylyn Filewich (2nd Team) were both named All-Canadians at the annual U SPORTS All-Canadian Gala on Wednesday night.
Giles enjoyed a spectacular third season with the Cougars, averaging a team-high 18.4 points and 8.8 rebounds per game. The Winnipeg product also finished second in the conference with 2.6 steals per game while leading the Cougars to a conference-best 17-3 regular season record.
"It means a lot to be recognized, obviously. My hard work is paying off and it shows that I'm getting better and better each year," Giles said on Wednesday. "My points and rebounds have gone up from my first to my third year but I really feel like my overall game has gotten so much better. It's nice to be named an All-Canadian and getting the recognition makes me work harder and strive to get even better."
Filewich had an outstanding season finishing fourth in Canada West conference points (369), third in blocks (22), first in offensive rebounds (86), and tops in shooting percentage at 60.3%. This is Filewich's second appearance as an all-star after being named to the conference's all-rookie team in 2016-17.
Both players were honoured last month along with Wesmen Faith Hezekiah by Canada West all being named as First Team All-Stars.
2019 U SPORTS First-Team All-Canadians
- F • Hannah Brown • 5th • Cape Breton
- F • Sarah-Jane Marois • 5th • Laval
- F • Leashja Grant • 5th • Lakehead
- G • Sabine Dukate • 4th • Saskatchewan
- G • Kyanna Giles • 3rd • Regina
2019 U SPORTS Second-Team All-Canadians
- F • Keylyn Filewich • 3rd • UBC
- G • Hilary Hanaka • 5th • McMaster
- G • Myriam Leclerc • 1st • Concordia
- G • Haley McDonald • 3rd • Acadia
- G • Nicole Gilmore • 5th • Carleton
U SPORTS Award Winners
- Nan Copp Award: Sarah-Jane Marois (Laval)
- Kathy Shields Award: Myriam Leclerc (Concordia)
- Defensive Player of the Year: Khaleann Caron-Goudreau (Laval)
- Sylvia Sweeney Award: Hilary Hanaka (McMaster)
- Petter Ennis Award: Guillaume Giroux (Laval)
- Tracy MacLeod Award: Lanae Adams (Acadia)