The Winnipeg Minor Basketball Association has announced a modified youth basketball opportunity that will operate this October, November and December under the Canda Basketball / Basketball Manitoba Return to Basketball guidelines. Registration will open on September 4 at http://www.wmba.ca, the WMBA is opening registration for the October-December Fall Basketball Season.
The sport of basketball in Manitoba is currently in Phase 2 of the Canada Basketball Return to Basketball plan so basketball will look a little different this season.
- Phase 1: Education & Individual Training begins
- Phase 2: Individual Training continues and Small Group Training begins (current phase)
- Phase 3: Whole Team Split Training (Internal 3x3 team competition) begins
- Phase 4: Whole Team Training (Internal 5v5 team competition) begins
- Phase 5: Whole Team Training continues; Local Competition begins
This Fall, the WMBA basketball program will consist of 10 weeks of individual skills training (small groups/teams) and will wrap up with an NBA-Style Skills Challenge.
Programming will be carried out by student-athletes from U of M, U of W, Red River College and Canadian Mennonite University as well as supplementary volunteer coaches. WMBA athletes will be provided with more focussed individual skill work and will benefit from all the knowledge and passion these college players will bring. They will be well prepared when we are permitted to transition back to regular competition.
The WMBA will adhere to all provincial health guidelines including social distancing, contact tracing, and sanitization between sessions to ensure the health and safety of all our athletes and coaches.
The WMBA will form small groups/teams the same way we normally would and groups will train together each weekend with scheduled sessions. The league will do its best to schedule each session as close as possible to the home community club.
If basketball is able to advance to other phases, these small groups will have already been training together and will be easily transitioned to phases 3, 4, and even 5 of the Canada Basketball Return to Basketball plan.
The league will re-assess mid-December and if things are able to resume competition in 2021, another registration period will be offered to offer a more typical normal season. Those registered for training will have the opportunity to play with their assigned small groups.
WMBA Fall 2020
Registration Fee: $165
- 10 1-hour training sessions (Saturday/Sundays)
- Coaching staff, comprised of student-athletes, supplemented by volunteer coaches - NEW!
- Participation in the NBA-Style Skills Challenge
- T-shirt (branded for your community club)
- September 4th-23rd - Fall Registration (First come, first. Limited spaces available)
- October 3rd/4th - Small Group (Team) training begins
- December 19th/20th - NBA-Style Skills Challenge
- Sport for Life Centre / Sport Manitoba
- Lindenwoods Community Centre
- Valour Community Centre
- Norberry-Glenlee Community Centre
- Red River Community Centre
- Dakota Community Centre
Jr NBA Fall 2020
Registration Fee: $150
- Introductory program with 1 session/week
- Volunteer coaches (curriculum and training provided)
- Jersey, ball and bag
- September 4th-23rd - Fall Registration (First come, first serve. Limited spaces available)
- Day & Time Community Centre
- Sunday 8:45am Norberry-Glenlee Community Centre
- Tuesday 5:30pm Sunova Centre - West St. Paul
- Tuesday 5:00pm Southdale Community Centre
- Tuesday 5:00pm Lindenwoods Community Centre
- Tuesday 6:00pm Lindenwoods Community Centre
- Wednesday 6:00pm Maples Community Centre
- Thursday 5:00pm Southdale Community Centre
- Friday 5:00pm Sport For Life Centre / Sport Manitoba
Registration for all programs will open on September 4 at http://www.wmba.ca