The Junior Bison Basketball Club has announced details on their upcoming Mini-Basketball program. The winter program is open to girls and boys currently in grades 1-5 and will run Sundays from Feb 16 to March 22 at a cost of $120 each. More details including registration links can be found below.
2020 WINTER JUNIOR BISON MINI BASKET
- Dates: February 16 - March 22, 2020 (SUNDAYS Only)
- Times: 1:00-2:30pm
- Ages: Girls & Boys Grades 1-5
- *Players will be split up into separate courts according to age and skill level
- Cost: $120
- Coaches: This program will be run by Bison Head Basketball Coaches Kirby Schepp & Michele Sung along with their Assistant coaches, alumni and current Bison athletes.
Mini-Basket is designed for school, community or club basketball players and programs. The philosophy of Mini-Basket is to allow children to play a game that is better suited to the development of their physical, mental and basketball skills by instituting long term athlete development (LTAD) modifications to the adult game. With high repetitions and touches, it is player oriented with the emphasis is on skill development in combination with the teaching and loading of actions.
The aim of Mini-Basket is to provide a rich and high-quality experience for youth basketball players. In turn, a positive experience will help foster their passion as they grow with the sport. The emphasis of Mini-Basket is on the quality of the experience and its appropriateness to the age and ability of the participant.
The adult game of basketball is played with a large ball, full-court and ten-foot hoops. In Mini-Basket, the size of the ball, court size and number of players is reduced and the height of the hoop is lowered. There are fewer rules that are gradually introduced as the player’s progress in their skill development and understanding of the game, keeping it developmentally appropriate.
Benefits of Mini-Basket
- Benefit 1: Increased Handling of the Ball
- Benefit 2: Better Spacing
- Benefit 3: Focus on Basketball Skills & Actions
- Benefit 4: More Directed Competition
University of Manitoba Frank Kennedy Centre-New Gym
ONLINE Registration ONLY
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! (then click SEARCH at the bottom of the page)
*If you have any registration/account issues please call our Customer Service Line at 204-474-6100.