Breakthrough Basketball of Cedar Rapids, Iowa has announced they will be hosting a Shooting basketball camp for boys and girls grades 5-12 on July 16-18, 2019. The 3-day camp will take place at Red River College and led by one of their camp leader Kyle Miller.
What will players get out of the camp?
Foundation of Shooting
This is the first step in becoming a great shooter. Some players will progress through this stage quickly, while others will need to spend a bit more time to correct some bad habits. You will also learn:
- How your stance could actually be causing your shot to go left and right and how to fix it.
- Why the parallel stance may not be the right fit for you.
- How your legs and not just your follow through can actually cause a flat shot.
- The proper release point and follow through.
- How inflexibility in your legs can affect your shot in a negative way.
- Learn the Steve Nash adjustment that allows players to shoot accurately from further distances.
After we have built a great shooting foundation, we will progress to shooting off of the catch. You will learn:
- How to make your shot quicker.
- The mentality to making your shot quicker.
- The proper body position for every shot off of the catch.
- The proper footwork for different situations during the game.
- The proper hand position to create consistency and accuracy.
- How to pull up out of the fast break.
As the levels go up, it's very important to add a pull up jump shot off of the dribble. This gives you the ability to score as defenders rush out to defend the initial shot. You will learn:
- The often ignored, but important progressions for the shot off of the dribble learned from legendary Hal Wissel who coached in the NBA.
- Learn how to properly pick up the basketball and how doing it the wrong way could be causing your shot to miss to the left and the right.
- Learn how the pace of the dribble can make your shot quicker.
- Learn how to properly execute the sweep and step through to create space from your defender.
- Learn the mentality needed to have a successful pull-up jump shot and how the wrong mentality can be easily defended.
- You will learn the keys to a quick release used by the pros such as Kevin Durant and Stephen Curry. You will learn the Michael Jordan 1-2 step used to create space and hit the open jumper.
- You will learn the details required to be successful with these advanced moves. If you're not ready for the advanced moves yet, we have a system set up that will progress players at the proper rates.
Who is Kyle Miller?
- Coach Miller is currently the Head Men's Varsity Coach at Piketon High School in Piketon, OH
- Western High School (Boys’ varsity coach): 4 seasons (2014-2018)
- Led the Indians to their 1st winning season in 6 seasons (2nd place finish in the Southern Ohio Conference) – 2014-15
- Led the Indians to Sectional and District championships (2015-16)
- Led the Indians to their first Regional (sweet 16) appearance in Ohio’s state tournament in 8 seasons (2015-16)
- Led the Indians to their best regular season win total in 8 seasons (2016-17)
- Experienced back to back to back winning seasons (2014-15, 2015-16, 2016-17)
- Coach Miller played at Notre Dame College & Shawnee State University from 2005-2009 where he was a 4 time All-American Mideast Conference member. He was an American Mideast Conference champion (North Division) in the 2007 - 2008 season
- Kyle then went on to play professionally in the Central Australian Basketball League for 3 seasons (2012-14)
- 3-time CABL All-Star 5 member (2012, 2013, 2014)
- 2-time CABL leader in assists (2013, 2014)
- 2-time Central District Basketball Club Most Valuable Player (2012, 2014)
- Finished top 5 (in the CABL) in scoring 2 times (2012, 2014)
- Tuesday, July 16, 2019 - 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM
- Wednesday, July 17, 2019 - 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM
- Thursday, July 18, 2019 - 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM
- The camp is for boys and girls entering grades 5-12.
- Camp attendees can get a 10-15% discount by using this link and booking any hotel owned by the Wyndham Hotel Group (Days Inn, Ramada, Baymont, Microtel, Super 8, Howard Johnson, Travelodge, Knights Inn and Wingate).
- Each session is limited to 60 players to ensure a high number of repetitions and improvement
- Red River College (Notre Dame Campus)
- 2055 Notre Dame Ave
- Winnipeg, MB R3H0J9 Canada
- $225.00 USD