- Basketball Manitoba is committed to ensuring that equity and access is incorporated across all aspects of its activities. In doing so, it acknowledges and adopts the following foundation principle from the Canadian Sport Policy:
Sport is based on equity and access. Sport is welcoming and inclusive, offering an opportunity to participate without regard to age, gender, race, language, sexual orientation, disability, geography, or economic circumstances. Participants have access to affordable sport opportunities that are appropriate to the level of activity chosen and provide opportunities for personal achievement.
- Specifically Basketball Manitoba:
- Acknowledges that sport equity is about fairness in sport, equality of access, recognizing inequalities and taking steps to address them. It is about changing the culture and structure of sport to ensure it becomes equally accessible to everyone in society.
- Supports equity and access for underrepresented groups that have been identified by Sport Canada such as Women, Aboriginals and People with Disabilities.
- Respects the rights, dignity and worth of every person and will treat everyone equally within the context of their role (player, coach, official and volunteer), regardless of age, ability, gender, race, ethnicity, religious belief, sexuality or social/economic status.
- Will ensure that the achievement of equal opportunities is a key consideration when developing, updating or delivering Basketball Manitoba programs, policies and projects.
- Will ensure that the concerns and needs of all people (including under-represented groups) are identified, promoted and supported.
- Will ensure that its governance structure encourages and promotes the full and equal participation of all people.
- Is committed to everyone having the right to enjoy their sport in an environment free from threat of intimidation, harassment and abuse.
- Is committed to everyone having a responsibility to oppose discriminatory behaviour and promote equality of opportunity.
- Will deal with any incidence of discriminatory behaviour according to the Code of Conduct policy.
- This policy was approved by the Basketball Manitoba Board of Directors on November 24, 2014.