Basketball Manitoba understands the importance of its members’ privacy and the sensitivity of personal information. Basketball Manitoba is committed to protecting privacy in its collection, use, and distribution of personal information. This Policy outlines how Basketball Manitoba manages its members’ personal and personal health information and safeguards privacy.
What is Personal Information?
Personal information is information about an identifiable individual such as name, age, ethnic origin, home addresses, personal email addresses, and home telephone numbers. Personal information does not include the work title, business address or business telephone number of an employee. This exception has been referred to as “business card” or “non-personal” information. Basketball Manitoba uses both personal and non-personal information when providing services to its members.
What is Personal Health Information?
Personal Heath Information is any recorded information about an identifiable individual related to that person’s health or health care history, the provision of health care to the individual or payment for health care provided to that individual.Collecting Personal & Personal Health Information Basketball Manitoba collects and uses personal and personal health information to be able to provide its members with services as well as to develop and enhance its service to its members. For example, Basketball Manitoba collects, uses, and discloses personal information to:
- create a mailing list for distribution of Basketball Manitoba materials;
- communicate with members about activities of Basketball Manitoba;
- maintain membership information;
- administer insurance and/or benefit plans;
- investigate, process, and arbitrate grievances;
- create Basketball Manitoba statistics;
- promote the sport of basketball.
- Voluntarily from members
- Registration forms
- Information provided by other sporting and/or basketball organizations, including the National Sport Organization (NSO)
When members complete an application for benefits under an insurance plan administered by Basketball Manitoba or sign any Basketball Manitoba form, members consent to the use of their personal and personal health information by Basketball Manitoba for the purposes listed above and to the sharing of personal and personal health information with third parties by Basketball Manitoba.
Disclosure of Personal & Personal Health Information
Under certain circumstances, Basketball Manitoba will disclose its members’ personal and personal health information:
- When members have consented to the disclosure; or
- If the disclosure is required to comply with a subpoena or warrant issued or an order made by a court, person or body with jurisdiction to compel the production of information, or to comply with rules of court relating to the production of records; or
- When the services that Basketball Manitoba is providing requires it to give information to third parties (for example, administrators of insurance or benefit plans), members’ consent will be implied, unless members tell us otherwise.; or
- Where there exists or it is believed that there exists an imminent and serious risk to the physical or mental health of a member.
- Third Party Access
- Basketball Manitoba has agreements with other parties that, when they receive personal and personal health information from Basketball Manitoba, the personal and personal health information will be safeguarded and protected from unauthorized use or unintended use. Basketball Manitoba does not disclose personal and personal health information to any third party to enable them to market their products and services. Basketball Manitoba does not sell member lists to third parties.
Limits on the Use and Retention of Personal & Personal Health Information
Basketball Manitoba will not disclose sensitive information for a new purpose beyond that to which members have consented. Members may withdraw consent at any time upon reasonable notice, subject to legal or contractual restrictions.
Personal and personal health information is retained by Basketball Manitoba for a period that is reasonable to fulfill the purpose for which the information was collected. Once this reasonable period has expired the Society destroys the personal and personal health information using appropriate methods.
Destruction of Personal & Personal Health Information
Basketball Manitoba shall take care when storing or destroying its members’ personal and personal health information in order to prevent unauthorized access or disclosure.
Security of Information
Basketball Manitoba takes all reasonable precautions to ensure that personal and personal health information is kept safe from loss, unauthorized access, modification or disclosure. Among the steps taken to protect information are:
- Storing of files in cabinets or offices that are not accessible to members;
- Technological safeguards like computer passwords, security software, and firewalls to prevent hacking or unauthorized computer access.
Breaches of Security of Information
Any and all breaches of the security of the personal and personal health information received by Basketball Manitoba are to be immediately reported to the Privacy Officer and are to be communicated to the Board of Basketball Manitoba at the first available Board meeting following the incident in question. The Board will take whatever action it deems appropriate with respect to the breach of security of information.
Updating Personal & Personal Health Information
Since Basketball Manitoba uses its members’ personal and personal health information to provide services to members, it is important that the information be accurate and up-to-date. If any information changes, members are asked to inform Basketball Manitoba so that the necessary changes can be made. Basketball Manitoba will take reasonable steps to correct any information that is not accurate, complete or up-to-date.
Changes to this Policy
Access Requests and Questions
If you have any questions or concerns regarding personal and personal health information, please contact the Basketball Manitoba’s Privacy Officer.
Room 324 - 145 Pacific Avenue
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3B 2Z6
Phone (204) 925-5775 Fax (204) 925-5929