Welcome to the Basketball Manitoba Club Championships! We are pleased to offer basketball teams from around Manitoba the opportunity to participate in a spring basketball championship. The Club Basketball Championships are open to any school or club team and traditionally runs in early May.
May 11-14, 2017 - Winnipeg
posted May 9, 2017
- Dates & Ages
- Player Eligibility
- Coach / Volunteer Requirements
- Fees & Travel Subsidy
- Hotel Options
- Contact & FAQ
Interested coaches and players from Manitoba are encouraged to establish a team that fits into one of the below defined age divisions.
Coaches must register online and have full payment in by
FRIDAY APRIL 21, 2017 at 4:30 pm
Division appeals must be in writing and are to be sent to Ian Dickey at Basketball Manitoba seven days prior to the set deadline.
This year's Basketball Manitoba Club Basketball Championships will be offered for boys and girls in the following categories:
- Age Eligible / Birth Years
- 14U 'A' - Born in 2003 or later (age 14 & under)
- 14U 'B' - Born in 2003 or later (age 14 & under)
- 15U 'A' - Born in 2002 or later (age 15 & under)
- 15U 'B' - Born in 2002 or later (age 15 & under)
- 16U 'A' - Born in 2001 or later (age 16 & under)
- 16U 'B' - Born in 2001 or later (age 16 & under)
- 17U 'A' - Born in 2000 (age 17 & under)
- 17U 'B' - Born in 2000 (age 17 & under)
- 19U - Born in 1998 or 1999 (age 19 & under)
Player and Team Eligibility
- Any Winnipeg based AAAA schools (as defined by MHSAA), any Winnipeg based club team created from a ‘selection’ process, as well as teams from WMBA's Rising Stars League must enter the ‘A’ tier.
- Any AAA, AA and A schools (as defined by MHSAA) or any teams currently playing in the WMBA Community Club leagues, rural or urban have the choice to enter the ‘A’ or ‘B’ tier.
- All athletes listed on the roster form must be the correct age for the category entered. Teams found falsifying birth records will be immediately ejected from the championships with no refunds issued.
- An athlete may play up an age division, but cannot move down to a younger age division. No exceptions.
- Athletes may participate on only one (1) team in the tournament. The player is considered 'committed for the championships' once the Team Registration Form has been submitted to Basketball Manitoba.
- Teams must consist of a minimum of 8 athletes to a maximum of 15 athletes. No exceptions.
- Basketball Manitoba reserves the right to reclassify teams into the appropriate division based on their past performances and based on the overall tournament entry numbers.
- All teams must register with a minimum of one non-playing head coach in order to be eligible for the championship.
Coach / Volunteer Requirements
- All teams must have at least one coach complete the online ‘Respect in Sport’ program before registering. New coaches or programs will be given a 2 week grace period from their point of registration to complete this program. There is no cost to complete this program. Information is at http://ris.basketballmanitoba.ca.
- Head coaches, in their 4th year and beyond with the team, must complete their respective NCCP certification. Information is at http://nccp.basketballmanitoba.ca.
- A minimum of one member of each coaching staff is to be of the same gender of the team they are coaching (i.e. female teams must have a minimum of one adult female coach on the bench at all times and male teams must have a minimum of one adult male coach on the bench at all times).
Rules & Regulations - VIEW ALL RULES
- RULE SYSTEM: All games will be played using the current FIBA rule system.
- GAMES: Each team will be guaranteed 3 games. All tournaments will be “round robin” plus playoffs.
- ZONE DEFENSES: Zones of any kind are NOT permitted at the 14U and 15U age levels, however, double teaming on the ball only is permitted. Any style or type of defence can be played at the 16U, 17U and 19U age levels.
- BALL SIZE: The 14U males & females, 15U, 16U, 17U and 19U female teams will use the size 6 basketball. 15U, 16U, 17U and 19U male teams will use the size 7 basketball.
- BALL MODEL: The official ball of all Championships with the Wilson Evolution basketball.
- RUNNING TIME: Basketball Manitoba reserves the right to change a game to 'running time' format in the 4th period if there is a difference in score of 30 points or more.
- RESPECT IN SPORT: Each team must have a coach who has completed the Respect in Sport certification program prior to the tournament beginning.
- CONDUCT: All team members and supporters are expected to conduct themselves in an appropriate manner at all times during the tournament. Basketball Manitoba reserves the right to eject anyone or team from the event with no monies refunded who does not conform to these expectations.
- UNIFORMS: Uniforms will NOT be provided to teams. Teams are expected to provide their own reversible uniforms (or have access to two sets of different colors) of the same color / style with numbers on the back at minimum (front numbers are preferred as well).
- TOURNAMENT SIZE: Tournaments may be capped depending on the number of registered teams - register sooner than later!
- PAYMENT: Payment will be accepted online and in the form of Interac, MasterCard, Visa, cash, cheque or money order in the office or credit card by phone or cheque by mail. All payments are to be made payable to “Basketball Manitoba”.
- AWARDS: 1st and 2nd place teams will receive individual awards.
Registration Fees and Travel Subsidy
The tournament entry fee is $350.00 per team.
In order to assist those teams who will be travelling to Winnipeg, Basketball Manitoba is pleased to offer a travel subsidy. The kilometres listed are for a one-way trip to Winnipeg. Please indicate on application how many kilometres you estimate your team to travel. The kilometres start at the perimeter of Winnipeg. All distances are subject to verification.
- 25-99 kilometres reduce the registration fee $50
- 100-249 kilometres reduce the registration fee $100.00
- 250-499 kilometres reduce the registration fee $150.00
- 500 kilometres plus reduce the registration fee $250.00
Team Travelling to Winnipeg for this year's Basketball Manitoba Club Championships have the following options to consider for their lodging needs. Some of the below flyers may have older event dates, but the hotel specs and rates would be very similar today. Click on a logo below for the booking details...
How to Register
Each team must register online and submit the appropriate registration fee to the Basketball Manitoba office no later than FRIDAY APRIL 21, 2017 (4:30 pm).
For more information on the Basketball Manitoba Club Basketball Championships, please contact Ian Dickey.