The impressive amount was unveiled at halftime of the championship final of the ArcelorMittal Dofasco CIS Final Eight at the University of New Brunswick's Richard J. Currie Centre. Jeff Speedy, project manager for Shoot For the Cure and head coach of the UNB Varsity Reds, presented a cheque to Mrs. Gillian Zinck, senior development officer from the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation.
An additional $25,836.86 was amassed by schools that elected to donate their fundraised money to local or provincial organizations, bringing this season's Shoot For The Cure overall total to $124,612.76 and the nine-year total to $1,011,283.60 since the initiative was launched in 2007-08 to raise awareness and money to fight the deadly disease.
For the fifth straight season, all 47 CIS women's hoops programs participated by holding one or numerous fundraising games or activities over the course of the campaign.
"I would like to thank all of the other 46 CIS women's basketball head coaches and their student-athletes for helping make this year's Shoot For The Cure another successful one," said Jeff Speedy. "It is fantastic that we had 100% participation once again and also very special that we were able to eclipse the $1,000,000 mark in total money raised over the nine years of this initiative. I am not sure what our next goal or milestone will be but I am anxious to find out and get started."
For more information on the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation or to make a donation, visit:
SHOOT FOR THE CURE YEAR-BY-YEAR DONATIONS:
- 2015-2016: $124,612.76 ($98,775.90 to CBCF)
- 2014-2015: $125,361.76 ($102,312.05 to CBCF)
- 2013-2014: $138,360.58 ($112,898.03 to CBCF)
- 2012-2013: $110,553.96 ($90,450.62 to CBCF)
- 2011-2012: $121,248.70 ($98,706.92 to CBCF)
- 2010-2011: $143,596.25 ($104,763.53 to CBCF)
- 2009-2010: $104,715.80 ($94,650.96 to CBCF)
- 2008-2009: $92,512.96 ($81,512.96 to CBCF)
- 2007-2008: $50,320.87 ($50,320.87 to CBFC)
- TOTAL: $1,011,283.60 ($834,391.84 to CBCF)