The 2021 Basketball Manitoba Awards recipients will be announced on the afternoon of Saturday April 17, 2021, the same day and time the in-person awards would have been presented in person had the pandemic not been a factor. The news will be announced on the Basketball Manitoba social media accounts (links below) and then summarized on our website at the end of the day.
In all, Basketball Manitoba received an overwhelming 116 applications (an all time high) for the 12 scholarships that are available. The decisions made to recognize this year's recipients were very difficult for the selection committee, but a good problem to have! We thank all who took the time to submit an application and congratulate those who will be announced on Saturday!
Basketball Manitoba in partnership with Sport Manitoba, Manitoba Sportswriters and Sportscasters Association, University of Manitoba, Balling for the Cure organization, Morris Glimcher, Lena Wenke and the family and friends of Alex Samaniego are pleased to offer players and coaches in Manitoba the opportunity to apply for $6,300 in available grants, scholarships and donations. The deadline to apply for all these opportunities is Friday, March 26, 2021.
A commemorative "High School Basketball Grad" t-shirt and hoodie are now available to order online. Basketball Manitoba proceeds from the sale of these items will go towards supporting the below Basketball Manitoba Awards scholarships being presented in April 2021.
Due to the ongoing global pandemic and there being no 2020-21 high school basketball season in Manitoba, the traditional in-person Basketball Manitoba Awards normally hosted in mid-April will not physically take place. There will be no in-person awards presented and no "Players of the Year", "Coaches of the Year", "All-Manitoba Teams" and other similar awards normally presented at the BMA's. However, the following Major Awards and Scholarship opportunities are available as part of a modified Basketball Manitoba Awards with recipients announced on Saturday, April 17, 2021, the original date of the in-person event.
AVAILABLE SCHOLARSHIP AWARDS (P = Players; C = Coaches; M = Managers)
Due to the fact there was no 2020-21 high school basketball season, any applications made to the below opportunities can include basketball achievements reached in previous seasons.
* Application requires a current copy of your high school transcript
** Application requires a letter of support from your basketball coach
*** Application requires the endorsement of two other coaches in the basketball community
- P - Carl Ridd Award - 2 x $500.00 Scholarships * / **
- Recognizes a Grade 12 basketball player who excels on the court, classroom and in the community.
- P - Ron Meyers Leadership Award - 2 x $500.00 Scholarships * / **
- Recognizes a Grade 12 basketball player who excels in the community, on the court and classroom.
- P - Donovan Gayle Scholarship - 2 x $500.00 Scholarships **
- Recognizing a Grade 12 basketball player who best meets the qualities of perseverance, determination and resilience that Donovan set as a leader in our community.
- P - Alex Samaniego Memorial Scholarship - 2 x $500.00 Scholarships (NEW) **
- Recognizes a Grade 12 basketball player who exudes a passion, commitment and a positive attitude towards the sport of basketball.
- P - Lena Wenke Courage Award - 1 x $500.00 donation to the recipient's charity of choice **
- Recognizes a Grade 12 basketball player who has faced and overcome obstacles or challenges in their life while staying involved in the sport of basketball.
- C - Jim Bulloch Coaching Award - 1 x $800.00 Scholarship ***
- Recognizes a newer Manitoba basketball coach with little experience and strong potential as a long-term leader in our sport.
- M - Morris Glimcher Student Manager Scholarship - 1 x $1000.00 Scholarship **
- Recognizes a grade 12 student in Manitoba in the role of a "Varsity Basketball Team Student Manager".
2021 TOTAL AVAILABLE = $6,300.00
Additional scholarships offered by Sport Manitoba can be found at https://www.sportmanitoba.ca/resources/athlete-resources.