The 10 schools that are being represented in this years tournament are:
- Sturgeon Heights
- John Taylor
- Daniel Mac
- Garden Valley
- Oak Park
Nov. 14th - 16th
Sturgeon Heights Collegiate
2665 Ness Ave
- All players in this tournament are graduates of 2000 or later.
- Tournament entry fee $300
- Admission $2
- Canteen and lunch available
READ ALUMNI TOURNEY ARTICLE IN WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
BRING A BALL FOR THE BIN!
The Alumni Tournament will be collecting used basketballs and shoes on site to be donated to the Basketball Manitoba Equipment Recycling Program to redistribute the items to children in need. Help a child get involved in basketball by bringing a gently used basketball or basketball shoes for the bin! READ MORE...
** Not enough schools entered into the 1999 and earlier division as a result that division will be held next year. An exhibition game between 1999 and earlier Dakota Alumni and Sturgeon/Silver Heights Alumni will take place on Saturday afternoon.
UPDATE #2: The High School Alumni tournament is a tournament for alumni basketball players. It is an opportunity to once again play with your former teammates and others who also at one time represented your school on the basketball court. This is a chance to relive old times, connect fellow basketball alumni and maybe even settle some life long debates!
Who is eligible to play?
- You must be an alumni from a Manitoba High school
- Have played on your school's Varsity boys basketball team
- Contact your former high school's current coach to see if the school has registered to play in the tournament.
- If your the school has registered to play in the tournament please inform the coach that you would like to participate. (See list below of schools/teams that have currently confirmed participation)
What do I do if my school has not registered to be in the tournament but I would like to play?
If your former school has not registered for the tournament but you and some former teammates would like to put a team into the tournament, please contact Stephen Tackie (Tournament organizer) at firstname.lastname@example.org or at send a text to 204-297-6305 to register a team. (Text messages should include your name, school you are representing and division you will be playing in)
- Date: Nov. 14th - 16th, 2014
- Location: Sturgeon Heights Collegiate
- Cost: $300 per team
- Format: Two divisions: (a) 1999 and earlier (b) 2000 and later, one team per school
- Participants: Participants will receive 3 games, Basketball Manitoba T-shirt, other special give aways
- River East - Matthew Koenig: email@example.com
- Oak Park - Jon Lundgren: firstname.lastname@example.org
- St. James - Ryan Kangas: email@example.com
- Dakota - Dean Favoni: firstname.lastname@example.org
- St Paul's - Jeff Laping: email@example.com
- Garden Valley - Walter Giesbrecht: Giesbrecht@gvsd.ca
- Glenlawn - Darcy Coss: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Miles Mac - Jeff Shaddock: email@example.com
- John Taylor - Spiros Kavadas: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sturgeon Heights - Stephen Tackie - email@example.com
- Daniel MacInyre - Michael Tan - firstname.lastname@example.org
Sponsored and supported by:
UPDATE #1: Are you interested in having your boys basketball programs participate in the first ever High School Alumni tournament? If so please contact Stephen Tackie at email@example.com or at 204-297-6305 and indicate your school name and that you would love to be a part of this historic event. The tournament will have two divisions: Division one - Alumni of 1990's and before/ Division two- Alumni of 2000 and later.
Coaches - Your assistance would be greatly appreciate if you could be a contact for all former players interested in participating. If you are comfortable, Alumni from your school interested in participating would contact you through email to register to play. If you are not interested in being a contact but would still love to have your school represented in this tournament I will gladly be that contact and organizer for your school's team(s).
We are really looking forward to this event and we know that your help, promotion and participation in is will be the only way to make this fun event take place. Schools that are interested are asked to speak with their school's principal and phys.ed department to ensure that the school is in support of your participation in this event.
What about your school? Don't miss the chance to be a part of this event! The Manitoba High School Alumni tournament 2014 is here! Details will be updated on this page as they get set!
To get involved, contact...
Please note: This year's tournament is the first of many. Next year's tournament will see the addition of a Women's division.
WATCH DOZEN'S OF OLD HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL GAMES
IN OUR CLASSIC GAMES COLLECTION...