The Winnipeg Sea Bears are pleased to announce that team owner David Asper has provided a donation of $60,000 to BGC Winnipeg to promote and enhance basketball programming for young people across Winnipeg. The two-year pilot project will include year round activities and funding the purchase of equipment for the clubs.

Formerly known as the Boys and Girls Club of Winnipeg, BGC Winnipeg provide underserved children from the ages of 6-18 with the chance to play organized basketball entirely free of charge, covering uniforms, shoes, transportation and coaching fees. Basketball is the organization’s largest and fastest growing program.

In addition, the Sea Bears announce that 70 per cent of its 50-50 proceeds at home games will be donated to BGC Winnipeg to further support youth basketball camps and clinics. The remaining 30 per cent will be donated in support of Project 11, which supports educating students about mental health.

During the regular season, Sea Bears players will participate in activities with BGC Winnipeg as part of the team’s commitment to the community.

“Basketball is our fastest growing participation sport and being affiliated with Winnipeg’s professional team will really amplify things,” said Ron Brown, CEO of BGC Winnipeg. “We aim to provide pathways to success in life. The physical activity of basketball and learning about team play are foundational to that future success. We look forward to working with the Sea Bears.”

The partnership represents an important step in the Sea Bears’ dedication to changing lives in the Winnipeg community by providing access to basketball for all.

“I’ve seen the work of the Boys and Girls Clubs and am very proud to support it in a way that gets the kids excited about basketball,” said David Asper, Sea Bears owner and chairman. “Sport is good for the soul and can be a unifying force. We look forward to seeing smiles on kids faces!”

The Sea Bears will return to Winnipeg June 12 to take on the visiting Edmonton Stingers at 7 p.m. CT. The game will feature unique programming to celebrate Philippine Independence Day, including food, music and dance. For tickets, click the button below or visit

Subscribe to Email Newsletter
Share this article to...