The Manitoba High Schools Athletic Association has announced a new virtual basketball competition open to all high school students in Manitoba. This virtual challenge is to help high school students across Manitoba stay active during these unprecedented times. Although student-athletes are not able to compete on the basketball courts, Dairy Farmers of Manitoba and the MHSAA still wants to see students active and engaging in sport while representing their school.
AIMS OF THE CHALLENGE
- Virtual event to promote physical activity as part of the reintegration of sport into schools during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Raise awareness of the importance of school sport, highlighting the role of sport in the mental health of students and their overall success on and off the field of play.
- Engage all Manitoba high school student to encourage them to stay active in creative ways during these difficult times.
- Provide an opportunity for students to safely connect and better themselves through training and friendly competition.
- Encourage those who may not normally participate in school sport to do so and benefit from the engagement that comes from participating in school sport.
- Open to any grade 9-12 student attending a MHSAA member school.
- A great activity for your Phys. Ed classes
- The Dairy Farmers of Manitoba High School Basketball Challenge consists of 3 one-week challenges between April 12, 2021 to April 30, 2021.
- Students may complete the challenges as many times as they would like within the challenge week but only their BEST score can be considered for each week’s top 5 boys and top 5 girls submissions.
- Prizes and recognition are available to the top scoring schools and the highest participating schools for each of the participation groups.
- Overall Top Score Awards (4 total):
- A school, AA school, AAA school, AAAA school
- Highest Participation Awards (4 total):
- A school, AA school, AAA school, AAAA school
Week 1 (Beginning April 12, 2021): Mikan Drill (60 sec.)
Week 1 of the challenge will give students the opportunity to complete the 60 second Mikan Drill, which is a left-right alternating layup drill using a single ball. The ball must hit the backboard, the student must rebound their own ball, and if they are unsuccessful with the layup they must continue on that side until they are successful. A designated counter must keep track of the number of successful layups that go into the net during the 60 second period. Each successful layup = 1 point.
Week 2 (Beginning April 19, 2021): Free Throws (20 attempts)
Week 2 of the challenge will give students the opportunity to complete in a best of 20 free throw challenge. A school may choose to use a 2-ball rotation and a rebounder to optimize gym time, but it is NOT necessary to complete this challenge. There must be a designated counter to keep track of the number of successful shots for each participant. 1 successful shot into the net = 1 point for a total of 20 possible points. Attempts must be consecutive and must be completed in one session.
Week 3 (Beginning April 26, 2021): 3-Point Shots (60 sec.)
Week 3 of the challenge will give students the opportunity to complete in a 60 second 3-point-shooting challenge. Participants may shoot from anywhere outside the 3-point line. The shooter may choose to move around the semi-circle or remain in one place. 1 successful shot into the net = 1 point. The designated counter must keep track of the number of successful 3-point shots that go into the net within the designated 60 second time slot. To ensure consistency of environment and results province wide, this challenge requires a school to use a 2-ball rotation and up to 2 rebounders to optimize the 60 seconds of shooting time. Attempts must be consecutive and must be completed in one continuous 60 second session.
HOW TO SUBMIT
Upon completion of the week, schools must submit their top 5 boys and top 5 girls scores, combined into a single weekly score. The school athletic director must submit ONE submission for the school’s overall participation numbers, and results by 3:30pm on the Friday of each week.
Contact Greg Jarvis, MHSAA Assistant Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org to submit each week’s set of results and participation numbers:
- Week 1 – Mikan Drill results due on April 16, 2021 at 3:30pm
- Week 2 – Free Throws results due on April 23, 2021 at 3:30pm
- Week 3 – Three Point results due on April 30, 2021 at 3:30pm
Important note: There is no limit to the number of times a student can complete the challenges within their respective week however only their top score can be counted towards their ranking to be considered for the top 5 boys and top 5 girls submissions, and a student who completes a weekly challenge multiple times only counts as a single participant.
Dairy Farmers of Manitoba has generously provided prizing that will be awarded to the overall highest scoring schools in four categories. Each of the four winners will receive $850 for their school’s athletic department. The final scores will be determined by combining the schools scores from all 3 weeks into a total overall score. If there is a tie between schools, the school with the highest 3-point shot points total will be declared the winner. If there is still a tie between schools, the school with the highest free-throws points total will be declared the winner. If there is still a tie between schools, a random draw of all remaining schools will take place to declare the winner.
Participation prizes will also be awarded to one school in each of the four MHSAA classifications (A, AA, AAA, & AAAA) for highest overall participation. Each of the four winners will receive $400 for their school’s athletic department.
Stay connected with us on social media! Show us how you and your school are completing the challenges during the 2021 Dairy Farmers of Manitoba High School Basketball Challenge by using the hashtag: #DFMbballchallenge on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
- April 12, 2021 – Start of week 1 of the Dairy Farmers of Manitoba High School Basketball Challenge.
- April 16, 2021 – The last day of week 1 of the Dairy Farmers of Manitoba High School Basketball Challenge. Results for week 1 due by 3:30pm.
- April 19, 2021 – Start of week 2 of the Dairy Farmers of Manitoba High School Basketball Challenge.
- April 23, 2021 – The last day of week 2 of the Dairy Farmers of Manitoba High School Basketball Challenge. Results for week 2 due by 3:30pm.
- April 26, 2021 – Start of week 3 of the Dairy Farmers of Manitoba High School Basketball Challenge.
- April 30, 2021 – The last day of week 3 of the Dairy Farmers of Manitoba High School Basketball Challenge. Results for week 3 due by 3:30pm.