Basketball Manitoba, Sport Manitoba and Todd MacCulloch are excited to announce plans for the 16th running of the Todd MacCulloch Hoop School Program fall session to inner-city children. The TMHS is a program designed to teach basketball fundamentals to children of inner city Winnipeg schools and is open to 7 schools from the Winnipeg 1 School Division that host Grade 6-8 students. If your school is interested in hosting this program...
This program is designed to teach basic basketball skills to inner city youth (ages 12-14) in a basketball camp format. It should be viewed as a blueprint to developing a well-rounded basketball player. There will be 8 - 1 ½ hour teaching sessions, for each gender, over a 3 month period. At the conclusion of the 8 weeks, a “jamboree” will take place where participants can put the skills they develop to use in games and contests in front of family and friends.
The teaching sessions will progress from individual skills, such as dribbling and passing, to team skills, such as give and go’s and help side defense. Individual skills will be introduced at the beginning of the program and will be built upon throughout the 8 weeks. For example one session will introduce pivots, which will be reinforced during a session on individual offensive moves. The fundamentals that will be taught and the progression in which they are done will allow players to develop a solid base of skills in all phases of the game. At the conclusion of the program participants will be able to play anywhere, whether it is on the playground or with their school teams. They will have individual skills that will contribute to the success of any team they are apart of.
This program will not only benefit the participants. The coaches of the inner city youth that this program is designed for will be present during the teaching sessions. Therefore they will develop an understanding of the fundamentals that are important for players to learn. They will work with the instructors, so they become comfortable in how the information should be presented to their players. This will allow these coaches to coach any player that comes to their program by being able to provide them with the basic skills of basketball.
The program is completely funded by Todd MacCulloch
and the Sport Manitoba Bi-Lateral Program and was written by Garth McAlpine of Winnipeg.
- Participants in grade 6, 7, 8 , 9
- 24 girls and 24 boys.
- Each gender requires 8 – 1 ½ hour time slots between October and December. It is preferred that 1 gender goes right after the other on one night for a 3 hour block.
- Dates of the sessions are at the discretion of the school in consultation with the head coach provided by Basketball Manitoba
- 1 head coach
- Lesson plans for each session to be left with the school
- T-shirts for all participants
- Basketballs for all participants
- Coaching attire for all assistant coaches
- Facility and selection of the dates in partnership with the Head Coach
- 2 assistant coaches to attend ALL sessions
- Selection of the athletes
For general information on the TMHS, go to http://toddmac.basketballmanitoba.ca.