Top

  • News Ticker

    May 5, 2017

    Manitoba Basketball Hall of Fame Adds new Posters and Programs Display to Museum


    The Manitoba Basketball Hall of Fame & Museum currently has a new feature on display at its museum located inside the University of Winnipeg Duckworth Centre.  Digital copies and a description of each can also be found below.



    A poster promoting the game on November 6, 1948 between the Winnipeg Paulins and the world-famous Harlem Globe Trotters at the Winnipeg Auditorium (now the Manitoba Archives Bldg.) on St. Mary Avenue behind the Hudson Bay retail store. The Trotters won the game 82-80. Doug Gresham led the Paulin’s with 22 points before a crowd of 3500 people.
    The program from the 1966 Provincial High School Championships played at Tec Voc High School. Note that the organization sponsoring the championships was then called the Manitoba Secondary Schools Athletic Association which became the MHSAA (Manitoba High Schools Athletic Association) of today. The 1966 champions were Daniel McIntyre (boys) and Glenlawn (girls).
    The program from 1970 with the University of Manitoba Bisons and the University of Saskatchewan Huskies. This was one of the many programs developed by legendary Bison manager / promoter, John Brown. The programs contained coupons from many of the restaurants on Pembina Hwy. and was one of the reasons for the sell-out crowds of over 2000 at Bison home games in the late 1960's and early 1970's.

    A poster promoting the first outdoor 3-on-3 “StreetBall” tournament played at Grant Park Shopping Centre in July of 1995. Other 3-on-3 events have been played in Winnipeg at Red River Exhibition Park, The Forks, Garden City Shopping Centre and the University of Manitoba under other names – Hoop-It-Up and NBA 3-on-3.




    The program from the 1983-84 Brandon University Bobcats. The Bobcat teams were led by future Manitoba Basketball Hall of Fame inductees, John Carson and Janet Lumsden. The Bobcat men won four CIAU/CIS National Championships in the 1980s and 90s.

    The program from 1998-99 season of the Winnipeg Cyclone. The Cyclone was a member of the International Basketball Association,  IBA), a pro league which had teams from Billings, Des Moines, Minot, Bismarck, Fargo, Mansfield (Ohio), Rapid City, Rochester and Neehah (Wisc.) and operated 1995-2001. The Winnipeg team, owned by Earl Barish, was coached by NBA legend, Darryl Dawkins and played all home games at the Winnipeg Convention Centre (known then as the “Wind Tunnel”).

    A poster promoting the “End of an Era” with the final games being played at the old University of Manitoba East Gym on February 21, 1998. The original Student Union / Bison East building was built in 1942 as a double hanger for the Commonwealth Training Program. It was purchased from the War Assets Corporation in 1948 and moved from Neepawa to the U. of M. Campus. The first home game was played in February, 1950 against Morehead State Teachers’ College.

    The program from 1994, the 35th Fort Garry Invitational Tournament (FGIT), played at Vincent Massey High School, which began in 1960 and was the first major high school tournament in Winnipeg. When a Varsity Girls section was added in 1985, it was co-hosted by Fort Richmond Collegiate. The last FGIT was played in 1999.

    A poster promoting an exhibition game and dance between Winnipeg Paulin's and the Sioux City Iowa, “Negro Ghosts” on November 27, 1948 at the old Winnipeg Auditorium (now the Manitoba Archives Bldg. on St. Mary and Memorial). The Winnipeg team won the game 83-36. NOTE : The Iowa team nickname, now considered offensive, is a sign of the times and is reproduced here only as an historical record to reflect and record how our standards of language have changed over the years.

    The programs from the first Manitoba Basketball Hall of Fame induction dinner, April 23, 1983 and the 30th anniversary dinner in 2013. The original group of inductees included 7 players, 8 builders and 4 teams. Our Hall of Fame was opened in 2001 at its original site at the University of Winnipeg before being re-located there in 2015. Manitoba is the only province in Canada to have a permanent site for a basketball hall of fame.

    The program from the 1991 National Junior Championships played at the University of Winnipeg and Tec Voc High School. The Team Manitoba Women won the gold medal and were coached by Brian Kornberger and the Men by Joe DiCurzio. The tournament featured future Hall-of-Famers Terri-Lee Johannesson, Sandra Carroll and Norm Froemel.
    The February, 1983 edition of “Hoop Scoop”, a publication of Basketball Manitoba and the Manitoba Basketball Coaches' Association. The cover was promoting the Canadian Senior Men's and women's Championships co-hosted by the University of Manitoba and the University of Winnipeg. The magazine was published for many years and featured articles on all university and high school leagues along with other items of interest to our Manitoba basketball community.



    The program from the Canadian Junior Basketball Championships played at the University of Manitoba, March, 1976. Manitoba was represented by the U. of M. Junior Bisons and along with teams from Vancouver, Newfoundland and Windsor. Manitoba won seven National Junior Championships (Stellars in 1950 and 1951, Winnipeg Light Infantry/WLI in 1952 and 1953 and the Jr. Bisons in 1971, 1972 and 1973) in an era when junior basketball was very competitive.

    The program from the 1991 National Junior Championships played at the University of Winnipeg and Tec Voc High School. The Team Manitoba Women won the gold medal and were coached by Brian Kornberger and the Men by Joe DiCurzio. The tournament featured future Hall-of-Famers Terri-Lee Johannesson, Sandra Carroll and Norm Froemel.

    The program from the Winnipeg Senior Basketball League (circa 1947) with St. Andrews, Rods, Chix and Paulins. Note the prizes offered for a draw - free chicken dinner and a pair of nylon hose.
    The program from the 1977 Canadian Senior Men's Championships played at Riddell Hall, University of Winnipeg. Manitoba was represented by the St. Andrew’s Super Saints and Nicolett Inn. Those two teams won six (6) Senior Men’s National championships in the 1970s and early 1980s and featured many future Manitoba Basketball Hall of Fame inductees and Canadian National Team members.



    The program from the first Naismith Cup NBA exhibition game between the Toronto Raptors and the Vancouver Grizzlies on October 21, 1995 at the old Winnipeg Arena. The cup symbolized supremacy between the two NBA Canadian teams. The Grizzlies re-located to Memphis in 2001.

    A 1937-38 National Basketball Committee rulebook as was used at that time in all of North America, including Canada. Note the price of 25 cents. Canada adopted International or FIBA rules in 2007 as part of Canada Basketball’s “Be One” initiative. 

    The program from the NBA exhibition game between the Atlanta Hawks and the Minnesota Timberwolves at the old Winnipeg Arena on October 24, 1991. The game featured future Naismith Hall-of-Famer, Dominique Wilkins, shown on the cover
    The program from an exhibition game in 1948 played between our Winnipeg Paulins and the NBA Minneapolis Lakers (eventually re-located to Los Angeles). The game featured NBA legend and Naismith Hall-of-Famer George Mikan and Coach Johnny Kundla. The final score was 95-75 for the Lakers with Mikan leading the way with 22 points.



    The program from the NBA exhibition game played in Winnipeg at the old Winnipeg Arena in 1957 between the Minneapolis Lakers (now the Los Angeles Lakers) and the Fort Wayne Pistons (now the Detroit Pistons).

    The program from the Western Canada Senior Men's finals between Winnipeg St. Andrews and the Victoria Dominoes played in 1946 at the Winnipeg Auditorium (now the Manitoba Archives building). The St. Andrews basketball club was in existence from 1931 to 1985, won three national senior men’s championships and had many Hall-of-Famers on their rosters over the years.

    The program from the Greater Winnipeg Senior Men's League, 1960-61. The league had four teams, Labatt's (which was composed on many Winnipeg Blue Bombers including Bud Grant and Kenny Ploen), Carling's (with Fred Ingaldson, Grant Alfonso and Dick Bevan), CKRC and St. Andrew's (with Glen Torgerson). All games were played at the old Winnipeg Auditorium on St. Mary and Memorial (now the Manitoba Archives Bldg.). The Red Cross Trophy, emblematic of the Senior League Champions, was first presented in 1922-23.


    The program from the Canadian Junior Basketball Championships played at the University of Manitoba, March, 1976. Manitoba was represented by the U. of M. Junior Bisons and along with teams from Vancouver, Newfoundland and Windsor. Manitoba won seven National Junior Championships (Stellars in 1950 and 1951, Winnipeg Light Infantry/WLI in 1952 and 1953 and the Jr. Bisons in 1971, 1972 and 1973) in an era when junior basketball was very competitive.

    The program from the 1969-70 Golden Boy Classic (now called the Wesmen Classic). The university section was won by the host Wesmen while the high school section was won by the Dakota Lancers. The invitational tournament was played in the old Riddell Hall, home of the Wesmen before the Duckworth Centre which was opened in 1984. 

    The program from the 49th Annual Wesmen Classic played in 2015. The cover features a reproduction of all past program covers. The Wesmen Classic (originally called the Golden Boy Tournament) began in 1967 and has been played at four venues, Riddell Hall, the old Winnipeg Arena, the Winnipeg Convention Centre and the Duckworth Centre.

    The program from the Western Canada Senior Men's finals between Winnipeg St. Andrews and the Victoria Dominoes played in 1946 at the Winnipeg Auditorium (now the Manitoba Archives building). The St. Andrews basketball club was in existence from 1931 to 1985, won three national senior men’s championships and had many Hall-of-Famers on their rosters over the years.

    The program from the first Winnipeg Invitational Tournament (WIT) played in 1976 at Tec Voc High School. The tournament became one of the top in Canada attracting teams from many other provinces and the United States. The first edition of the tournament was won by the Fargo North Spartans (North Dakota).

    The program from the CIS Women's Basketball National Championships hosted by the University of Winnipeg in March of 2005. The championship was won by Simon Fraser. The Wesmen Women were led by Nan Copp CIAU/CIS Player of the Year winner, JoAnne Wells.

    The program from an exhibition game in 1948 played between our Winnipeg Paulins and the NBA Minneapolis Lakers (eventually re-located to Los Angeles). The game featured NBA legend and Naismith Hall-of-Famer George Mikan and Coach Johnny Kundla. The final score was 95-75 for the Lakers with Mikan leading the way with 22 points.

    The program from the 1992 Winnipeg Thunder season. The Thunder was a member of the World Basketball League (WBL) which included teams from Calgary, Dayton, Erie, Boca Raton, Halifax, Jacksonville, Saskatoon and Youngstown. The Thunder had Tom Nissalke as head coach and Vic Pruden as an assistant and Hall-of-Famers Joey Vickery, Terry Garrow, Eric Bridgeland and Dan Becker on their roster.  All games were played at the old Winnipeg Arena. The WBL existed for two years, 1992-94.

    • Website Comments
    • Facebook Comments

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

    Your feedback on this Basketball Manitoba article is welcome! Post your comments below and check back later to view other comments or replies!

    Item Reviewed: Manitoba Basketball Hall of Fame Adds new Posters and Programs Display to Museum Rating: 5 Reviewed By: Adam Wedlake
    Scroll to Top