SAVE THE DATE!
2014 SUPER COACHES CLINIC
OCTOBER 24-25, 2014
UNIVERSITY OF MANITOBA
in partnership with
2014 Basketball Manitoba Super Coaches Clinic
October 24-25, 2014
University of Manitoba
Investors Group Athletic Centre
Investors Group Athletic Centre
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Basketball Manitoba, the University of Winnipeg and the University of Manitoba are excited to announce the details the fifth annual 'Super Coaches Clinic' weekend scheduled for October 24-25 at the University of Manitoba Investors Group Athletic Centre. The clinic comes as a partnership with the University of Manitoba Bisons and University of Winnipeg Wesmen as a joint offering to the basketball community. The clinic will run at the same time as the province wide 'SAGE' in-service day on Friday October 24 and is registered as a professional development event by the Manitoba Physical Education Teachers Association (MPETA).
The WMBA will be pausing all league games over the clinic weekend to ensure each coach can attend and is covering the cost for all its league coaches to attend the sessions. The clinic features 12 different presentations over the two days and features a wide range of topics for all levels of basketball. Register today for Manitoba's premier basketball coaching event!
Attend one day for only $90 or come to both for $115! Deadline to register is Wednesday October 22, 2014 at 5:00 pm.
- Clinic Features
- Schedule & Topics
- Video Series
- Host Hotel
- Campus Map & Parking
- History & Past Presenters
Your registration into this year's Basketball Manitoba Super Coaches Clinic includes...
- 12 top on-court top-notch basketball presentations over 2 days with topics ranging from basic fundamentals to advanced offenses & defenses.
- Option to attend one or both days. Your best value is to join us both days!
- Fox40 Magnetic Basketball Coaches Portfolio - pictured to the right ($40.00 retail value)
- 2014-15 Wesmen Season Pass ($50.00 value)
- 2014-15 Bison Basketball Season Pass ($50.00 value)
- 100+ page Basketball Manitoba Super Coaches Manual including roster, attendance, practice planning, game stat and playing time tracker blank forms. ($15.00 value)
- Basketball Manitoba Skill Series Posters (4) ($10 value)
- Exclusive access to view a number of practices hosted by the Wesmen & Bison coaches in the days prior to the clinic.
- Early access to view ALL the presentation through online video in the weeks following the clinic. General public gets access in January. View past clinic videos now...
- FRIDAY COACHES - Entry for a Grand Prize Draw for a trip for a coach in attendance to Las Vegas in May 2014 for the Nike Championship Coaches Clinic (see below).
- SATURDAY COACHES - Entry for a Grand Prize Draw for Team Prize Pack (see below).
- Other great door prizes throughout the day from the Wesmen, Bisons, Basketball Manitoba, WMBA, Coaching Manitoba, Centaur Sports, Sport Manitoba and other supporters.
- Morning refreshments.
- Lunch included on both days.
- Basketball Store selling FIBA rulebooks, scoresheets, whistles, dry-erase boards - all at 20% off regular prices.
NIKE CHAMPIONSHIP CLINIC LAS VEGAS PRIZE DRAW - FRIDAY COACHES
Every coach in attendance ON FRIDAY at the Basketball Manitoba Super Coaches Clinic will be entered for door prizes throughout the weekend! The FRIDAY grand prize will consist of a trip to Las Vegas in May 2015 for the Nike Championship Basketball Coaches Clinic! This Las Vegas clinic is considered the premier basketball coaches clinic in the world! This prize includes return air fair out of Winnipeg to and from Las Vegas, hotel accommodation and the Nike Coaches Clinic fee. The prize is valued at over $1500.00 and must be accepted as presented (no cash value or exchanges).
The draw will be made at the end of the Friday sessions and the winner DOES need to be in attendance to win the award. Good luck!
Past Las Vegas Trip Winners
- 2009 - Patrick Kerr - Tyndall Park CC
- 2010 - Darrell Nicholson - North Kildonan CC
- 2011 - Jake Vezeau - Dakota CC
- 2012 - Tony Hayden - Saskatchewan
- 2013 - Bernard Kanakm - Sisler HS
TEAM PRIZE PACK PRIZE DRAW - SATURDAY COACHESEvery coach in attendance ON SATURDAY at the Basketball Manitoba Super Coaches Clinic will be entered for door prizes throughout the weekend! The SATURDAY grand prize will consist of a Team Prize pack for one lucky coach in attendance including...
- 6 New Wilson Evolution Basketballs ($300 value)
- 1 Wilson Basketball Equipment Bags ($40 value)
- 12 - 2014-15 Wesmen Basketball Season Passes ($600 value)
- 12 - 2014-15 Bison Basketball Season Passes ($600 value)
- 12 Basketball Manitoba T-Shirts ($120 value)
- 2 Fox40 Dry Erase Coaches Boards ($50 value)
- 2 Fox40 Whistles ($10 value)
- 50 Basketball Scoresheets ($14 value)
The draw will be made at the end of the Saturday sessions and the winner DOES need to be in attendance to win the award. Good luck!
Past Team Prize Pack Winners
- 2011 - Darin Arnold - Portage la Prairie
- 2012 - Manfred Glor - Linden Christian
- 2013 - Chris Geraille - Norway House
Note: Past Las Vegas and Team Prize Award Winners, current Basketball Manitoba Board members and staff are not eligible for either of the Grand Prize Draws.
2014 SUPER COACHES CLINIC PRESENTERS
TO BE ANNOUNCED SEPTEMBER 2014
Tanya McKay – University of Winnipeg Women’s Basketball Head Coach
Tanya McKay is currently entering her 17th year as head coach of the Winnipeg Wesmen program. Over this time, she has taken the program to 4 CIS National Championship appearances (2001-2005) with 2 Silver Medals and 2 Bronze Medals over this time. In 1999, she worked with Canada’s National team program as an Assistant Coach with the National Student Team and in 2001 as the Assistant Coach to the National Junior Team. She is also the co-founder of the TMO Basketball School which began in 2001 where currently 5 members of our Wesmen Team came through the TMO program.
Tanya also is a member of Manitoba Basketball Hall of Fame in the Player category in recognition of her playing days, also with the Wesmen in the 1980’s. Her coaching history also includes that at the high school and Provincial Team levels. In 2012, Tanya joined the Board of Directors at Basketball Manitoba.
Kirby Schepp - University of Manitoba Men's Basketball Coach
Kirby Schepp enters his fifth season at the University of Manitoba after being at Sturgeon/Silver Heights Collegiate in Winnipeg as a head coach and Physical Education teacher since 1994. Over his 14 seasons in the high school system, he amassed a record of 333-143 while establishing the Sturgeon/Silver Heights as one of the top basketball programs in Manitoba while leading them to five Provincial Final Fours, five league championships and a 100% graduation rate of athletes. Schepp was also named both the ‘AAAA’ Boys Coach of the Year and the Coaching Manitoba Excellence in Coaching Award (School System) in 2007.
Along with his role at Sturgeon/Silver Heights, Schepp head coaching history includes being part of Team Manitoba for seven seasons while holding a 67-19 record among teams playing in exhibition tournaments, National Championships and Canada Games. From 2005-2010, he was Manitoba's Manitoba's Canada Games Male Coach and the Head Coach of Canada Basketball’s Centre for Performance Prairie Region Boy's Program (involved since 2001) while being Basketball Manitoba's most active National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP) Course Conductor (Levels 1-3).
Schepp is also very involved in the redevelopment of the NCCP model at the national level and is one of Manitoba's few Master Learning Facilitators. He held the position as Manitoba's High Performance Provincial Coach since 2007-2010. His past experience with basketball coaching has also been as President of the Manitoba Basketball Coaching Association (MBCA), the University of Winnipeg assistant coach from 1996-2001 and playing at the University of Winnipeg from 1993-96.
In addition to his coaching prowess, Schepp has a Masters in Education (Coaching) from the University of Victoria, Bachelor of Education from the University of Winnipeg and National Coaching Certification Program Level 3 plus was selected as Canada’s representative and head basketball coach at Generations for Peace, International Sport Development programs held in Amman, Jordan in late November 2008. In 2012, Kirby joined the Board of Directors at Basketball Manitoba.
SUPER COACHES CLINIC SCHEDULE & TOPICS
The following is the current presentation schedule for the two days. All registrants are also invited and encouraged to attend the exclusive open practice sessions with the 4 local university basketball coaches on the Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday leading up to the Super Clinic. Please note that both presenters and topics are subject to change. The below schedule will be updated immediately if any changes were to be made.
FULL SCHEDULE TBA IN SEPTEMBER
Full CIS game schedules at wesmen.ca or gobisons.ca
Watch Past Super Clinic Videos
By attending a Basketball Manitoba Super Coaches Clinic, you will gain full access to the entire clinic video online library!
SUPER COACHES CLINIC HOST HOTEL
Coaches travelling into Winnipeg for the weekend are welcomed at the Radisson Hotel Winnipeg Downtown - only a 10 minute walk west down Portage Ave to the University of Winnipeg. A special clinic rate of $97.00 per night (plus taxes) has been arranged (regular rate is over $130.00 / night). The rooms are being held at this rate on a first come first serve basis with limited availability Reserve your room now by contacting them at...
Radisson Hotel Winnipeg Downtown
288 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg Manitoba R3C OB8 Canada
Phone (204) 956-0410
Winnipeg Manitoba R3C OB8 Canada
Phone (204) 956-0410
MAP TO UNIVERSITY OF MANITOBA
INVESTORS GROUP ATHLETIC CENTRE
75 SIDNEY SMITH STREET
When entering the IGAC, follow the signs up the main staircase to the 3rd floor.
All clinic sessions will occur in the gym.
All clinic sessions will occur in the gym.
U of M Campus Maps & Parking Options
Click to view interactive Campus Parking Map
Additional parking information
- Parking at the University on the Friday will be at a premium as classes are in and its a regular school day on campus.
- Parking on the Saturday will be far easier to find.
- It is suggested you arrive on campus PRIOR to 8:15 AM to increase your chances of finding a spot.
- Parking costs are not included in the clinic fees.
- It is strongly suggested you carpool with other coaches attending the clinic to increase the chances of finding a spot or take another mode of transportation such as Winnipeg Transit or get dropped off at the gym.
- Basketball Manitoba or Bison Athletics will assume no responsibility for any parking issues or violations incurred while at the clinic.
HISTORY & PAST PRESENTERS
The Basketball Manitoba Super Coaches Clinic was formed under the partnership of the Winnipeg Minor Basketball Association, University of Winnipeg and University of Manitoba with Basketball Manitoba. The first clinic was offered in 2009 at the University of Winnipeg and has alternated between the there and the University of Manitoba ever since. The clinic averages nearly 400 coaches in attendance each year and is the largest coaches clinic in Manitoba and the largest basketball coaches clinic in Canada!
Our growing list of past presenters include...
- Michele Belanger, University of Toronto (2009)
- Glen Bergeron - University of Winnipeg (2012)
- Steve Brown, Minnesota Timberwolves an Lynx (2009 & 2011)
- Rich Chambers, Canadain National Team (2013)
- Gil Cheung, Brandon University (2011)
- Dave Crook, University of Winnipeg (2009)
- Pam Danis, University of Manitoba (2009-2011)
- John Dore, Concordia University (2009)
- Coleen Dufresne - University of Manitoba (2012)
- Lee Hurton, Winnipeg Minor Basketball Association (2011)
- Drew Hanlan, Pure Sweat Basketball (2013)
- Michele Hynes - University of Manitoba (2012)
- Randy Kusano - University of Manitoba (2012)
- Dr. Scott Leckie, Sport Dentis (2013)
- Dave Love, NBA Shooting Coach (2010)
- Mike MacKay, Canada Basketball (2009, 2010)
- Chris McDole, Pro-Aggression Training (2011)
- Tanya McKay, University of Winnipeg (2009-2012)
- Cam Moskal, Manitoba Association of Basketball Officials (2009, 2010, 2011)
- Manoj Nowrang, Positive Coaching Alliance (2011)
- Renato Pasquali, Canada Basketball (2010)
- Mike Raimbault, University of Winnipeg (2010-2012)
- Sheldon Reynolds - Coaching Manitoba (2012)
- Kirby Schepp, University of Manitoba (2009-2012)
- Dawn Smyth, Canada Basketball (2013)
- Alan Stein - Stronger Team (2012)
- Rick Torbett - Read & React (2012)
- Ken Shields, University of Victoria and Canadian National Team (2010)
- Shawn Swords, Laurentian University (2009)
- Dave Taylor, University of Regina (2013)
- isa Thomaidis, University of Saskatchewan (2009)
- Jay Triano, Toronto Raptors and Canadian National Team (2011)
- Sherwin Vasallo, Acceleration Performance (2009, 2010)
- Ross Wedlake, Basketball Manitoba Technical Committee (2010 & 2012)
- Ron Yeung, Canada Basketball (2013)
Here is what people have said about past Super Coaches Clinics...
- Awesome job! Great value!
- Awesome weekend guys......really well organized.....top notch !!!!
- Basketball Manitoba is doing a tremendous job with the Super Clinic, and I can't say enough good things about it. Awesome work!
- Fantastic event, I can't wait to attend next year. the calibre of
the clinicians was great and the variety throughout the weekend kept it
interesting. Looking forward to going through the handbook as well
- I enjoyed the clinic. I enjoyed seeing things I could actually use
with my grade nine girls. The different games and the warm up I really
enjoyed, and will def. be using. I also picked up a few little tips that
I will be passing on to my kids. It was great.
- I think that the clinic was very informative, and easy to follow.
It seemed to be well organized. Overall it was a very good experience.
- I was very impressed with the clinic. The variety of presenters
and topics was excellent. The content of each presentation had something
to offer to both the novice and experienced coach. A job well done!! -
to the organizers.
- I would like to first, thank all the people who organized this
years Super Coaches Clinic. It was an amazing experience. I just started
coaching last year at the JV girls’ level and I thought I was doing a
good job but after attending this year’s clinic, you have given me the
tools and knowledge to be a better coach.
- Last years clinic was very good and this years was excellent.
There was more relevant information presented to us this year and in an
easy to understand format. Great stuff!
- The whole clinic was run well. The presenters were well worth listening to. Great ideas come from this.
- You put on a great clinics thanks! I'm a first year coach and I left with lots of aspects to basketball.
- Thanks SO much for the fantastic weekend of Super Coaches Clinic!
I thought it was incredible and quite obvious that everyone had
invested a ton of time into organizing and coordinating all that went
into it. I learned a lot and really enjoyed the whole thing. Thanks
again for your hard work and dedication.
- I wanted to let you know that the clinic this past weekend was
extremely well run and very informative. Please pass on my appreciation
to those you helped you.
- I attended the Coaches Super Clinic this Saturday and thought I
would let you know that the clinic was fabulous. It is far and away the
best run, and informative clinic I have been to. Well done!
- Great clinic this past weekend! I really got a lot out of the presentations.
- Thanks again for the opportunity to present at the clinic on
Saturday. You certainly did a great job of organizing it and running a
first-class event. Hope it lived up to everything you hoped for.
- I just want to thank you for hosting such an amazing clinic. It
is my first year to be a head coach and I was really nervous about
getting going, but the presenters you selected were great and I have
some terrific ideas to get me started! I really enjoyed the games
approach to teaching drills!
- Our men's coach was tremendously impressed with the clinic you ran this past weekend. Good job.
- I was at the super coaching seminar this past Saturday. Thanks so much, the seminar was awesome.
- I really enjoyed the clinic - very interesting and very well organized.
- Thanks again for all the hard work you and your team did for the
Super Clinic this wknd! It was great! Super idea to combine the
various UW/UM clinics into one, makes a whole lot of sense!
- I really enjoyed the Sat morning sessions I attended - picked
up/was reminded of a few games / drills that I'll be able to use with
the kids at the next practice!
- I though the two days were superb. What a great idea! Lee did a
wonderful job greeting us first thing on Friday and it just stayed great
the whole weekend. I would challenge any city in North America to do
- Thanks so much for the hard work. The fact that it looked easy and
went off without a hitch proves to me how hard you worked to make it
- It was a great clinic. Thanks for your organization and hard work.
- Awesome clinic! I learned a ton. Thanks for putting the time in.
- The clinic was excellent, lots of very inspirational speakers with lots of good ideas. Thanks!
- Thanks very much for having the clinic I found it very useful and I
have used some of the drills already and the boys have really enjoyed
- Clinic was great. SAG is a great day to have it as the clinic is a
very attractive option on this day. I enjoyed the presenters and
learned a lot of great drills. I am also happy the sessions will be
online as I'm sure I will be watching some of them again to remind
myself of some of the details.
- Fantastic job! Can't wait for the video so I can make sense of my notes.
- Great experience overall.....WELL DONE!
- Great job on the entire day - I walked away with new tips and
tricks along with some validation of what I'm doing with my team is the
right stuff. I look forward to the future clinics and I'm really excited
to be part of the coaching community again. Thanks so much for a great
- I think that the majority of the clinic was fantastic and that it
was well put together. I definitely learned a TON of stuff which I will
try to incorporate into the upcoming season and try to keep as a coach
for future teams as well.
- I thought this clinic was an excellent opportunity to improve my
understanding of the game and advance my abilities as a coach. There
were so many drills and ideas that would be useful teaching points at
practice that I don't think I will be able to stuff them all into this
season, however I will try.
- Overall a FANTASTIC 2 days!! I am a beginning coach (1 spring
season experience 8 year old boys - now coaching winter) and even the
higher level clinics had something I could take from it. Great
presenters, great location, great snacks and lunches and VALUABLE
information! Well done!
- Overall it was an excellent seminar with lots of information.
- Overall...Excellent Observing practices and talking to the local University coaches was valuable to me. Keep this!
- Thanks very much I came out of the weekend with a lot!
- Thanks, overall it was a great experience!
- The clinic was fabulous... easily the best run and most
informative I have ever been to. In fact as a first time basketball
coach it was actually quite inspiring. Well done!
- The clinic was well-organized and well worth attending. Good job!
- This clinic was absolutely fantastic. You absolutely have to run
it again, during a tournament weekend, with all those experienced
University coaches!!! I cannot say enough about how good it was. I also
coach Hockey and soccer and you can relate a lot of those drills to
- Very good clinic. Attended only Fri. Cannot comment re Sat. Thanks Basketball Manitoba!
- Very informative 2 days....good lunches, good prizes and interesting presenters! Looking forward to next year’s clinic!
- Very informative. Answered many questions. Now I know of ways to make practices more creative.
- Very well organized, good selection of coaches and topics.
- We thank WMBA and Basketball Manitoba for giving us (community coaches) the tools to coach to our kids.
SUPER COACHES CLINIC REGISTRATION
Deadline to Register: Wednesday October 23, 2013 at 5:00 pm
Registration Fee: Attend one day for $85.00 or both days for only $110.00
** Please note that the WMBA is covering the full cost of any of their active coaches (community club or Rising Stars) to attend this clinic. If you are a Club coach who is NOT in the WMBA or RSL leagues, then follow the 'School Coach' option below, **
SUPER COACHES CLINIC QUESTIONS?
For more information on the Basketball Manitoba Super Coaches Clinic, please contact...
Content Questions: Dan Becker - email@example.com