Basketball Manitoba is proud to partner with Canada Basketball to offer a fantastic youth basketball programming initiative to residents across Manitoba! The Steve Nash Youth Basketball Program (SNYB) is a national youth basketball program designed to develop fundamental skills, sportsmanship and a love of the game for basketball. This grassroots initiative supports and empowers community-based recreational groups and facilities, schools and other institutions across Canada in an effort to positively influence youth through basketball. The goal of the program is to allow participants the opportunity to maximize their potential, while promoting the importance of youth basketball as a vehicle to build character, discipline, self-esteem and sportsmanship.
- Program Objectives
- Benefits of Program
- Program Integration
- Program Pricing
- Get Involved!
- Additional Information
- Who is Steve Nash? (video)
- Steve Nash Skills Videos
- Contact Us!
To create opportunities across Canada for all children and youth aged 5-13 to:
- Participate in basketball,
- Learn and play basketball, using qualified coaching and programming,
- Learn to compete in a supportive and development-focused environment,
- Improve the “Health of the Nation”.
- The program is administered by members of the local community and allows for consideration of specific community needs
- The program is designed as a participant-centered, resource supported program administered for youth
- The program’s foundation is the teaching of basketball fundamentals in a fun, positive environment
- The program is designed primarily for boys and girls 5-13. (Younger and older players can participate and modifications can be made at the local level)
- All players receive equal playing and practice time (subject to attendance, discipline, etc.)
- Weekly practice guidelines are no less than one practice for every game
- Team parity is a goal for all leagues (local considerations may be a variable)
- Scorekeeping and individual statistics are discouraged before the age of 10
- Introduce, provide opportunities, and encourage participation for children/youth aged 5 - 13 years old across Canada to be a part of Steve Nash Youth Basketball - developing young athletes, creating a passion, and exposing them to the values, qualities, and skills required to succeed in basketball and in life.
- Address the need for young developing players to receive skill and developmental stage appropriate coaching following CS4L Long Term Athlete Development model; while educating parents of their role towards their children's development.
- Create a developmental pathway for coaches and officials of Steve Nash Youth Basketball through introduction to New NCCP (National Coaching Certification Program) module and officials training through the Canadian Association of Basketball Officials.
- Further encourage children and youth with development potential to higher level performance by providing a consistent national development model that speaks to skills, knowledge, and attitudes that are required for participants/athletes to safely progress and achieve maximum development in the sport of basketball.
- Allow participants to have the opportunity to maximize their potential, while promoting the importance of youth basketball as a vehicle to build character, discipline, self-esteem, and sportsmanship.
Benefits of Steve Nash Youth Basketball
- Member of a philosophically sound, well researched program which addresses a 'Long Term Athlete Development' (LTAD) approach to basketball for children
- Steve Nash reversible jersey for each participant
- Steve Nash basketball for each participant
- SNYB Coaching manual
- Annual free coaching clinic
- Codes of conduct for all involved – “respecting the game”
- National Membership into Canada Basketball
- Basketball Manitoba membership including comprehensive accident & liability insurance coverage
- Respect in Sport Coaching Program
- Access to officials clinics and membership in MABO
- Free access to Basketball Manitoba’s resource library
- New features every year
- FUN and MORE FUN!
- Local Community Club
- Recreation District
- Parks & Rec Program
- Boys & Girls Clubs
- After-School Drop-In Programs
- School-Based Intramurals
- Church-Based Programs
- OR ANYONE INTERESTED IN OFFERING A BASKETBALL PROGRAMMING OPTION IN THEIR COMMUNITY!
The current pricing for the program will come to $40.00 per coach and player ($30.00 per package plus $10 Basketball Manitoba Membership and Insurance). The materials and items received are detailed above (insurance, uniforms, basketballs, coaching materials, referee materials and program administration materials).